Vision Statement – That wheat and barley are profitable and internationally competitive crop choices for Manitoba farmers.
Mission Statement – To grow the potential of wheat and barley as profitable and sustainable production choices for Manitoba growers through leadership and strategic investments in research, market development and communications.
- Ensure producer profitability, influence and choice
- Focus on Research and Market Development
- Seek to build and sustain high functioning collaborative working relationships with other organizations that share common objectives
- Leverage available resources
- Pursue, support and encourage defendable science based solutions
- Recognize wheat and barley as choices within a mix of multiple crop choices and rotations in crop production
- Encourage a climate for vibrant private and public investment
- Maintain and enhance Canada’s brand for quality over a diverse range of markets
- Demonstrate transparency and good governance
- Deliver and communicate value to levy paying members
- Innovate in providing cost effective service
- Core Functions -Research and Market Development
- Support Functions – Communication/advocacy/advisory/education, Administration, Governance, Other
Strategic Objectives (Working Plan)
Research Objectives :
General Objective – Lower the costs of production per bushel through yield gains and agronomic efficiencies and increase value through enhancing desirable market quality characteristics.
Specific Research Objectives:
- Support and encourage the development of an on-farm research network
- Revisit and refine basic fertility response recommendations
- Build connections with retail and independent field scouts to capture and communicate timely cereal agronomic information.
- Preserve public funding support and capacity for agronomic research.
Research (Genetic/variety development)
- Prepare a proactive response to potential changes in variety development investment and public research capacity to ensure producers are influential and well served by the outcome.
- Support existing (ongoing) programs
- Explore the potential of producer partnerships
- Explore and respond to Identity Preserved opportunities
- Work with WGRF
Market Development Objectives:
General Objective – Position and promote Canadian wheat production and products in a way that increases value, decreases marketing costs and provides a greater net back to producers.
More specific objectives:
- Participate in the development of a path toward the broader acceptance of proven science based market solutions and innovations.
- Advance our capacity to anticipate market needs in larger traditional markets and smaller strategic markets
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities for domestic Identity Preserved market solutions.
- Promote domestic consumption and novel uses of Manitoba/Prairie specific cereal production
- Maintain and enhance Canada’s quality brand reputation across multiple cereal market classes.
- More effectively capture malt barley market signals and total capacity requirements.
Other Strategic Objectives (Support Functions)
- Build awareness and acceptance of organizational activity
- Create multi media/medium communication (including social media, newsletters and other)
- Utilize community newspapers
- Move to electronic – website initiation to be on distribution list
- AGM notice by advertisement and press release
- Meet and exceed certification board criteria
- Demonstrate transparency
- Create enough flexibility to adjust to the new demands of the times
- Support core functions of research and market development
- Actively seek opportunities for collaboration to provide cost effective and efficient service.
- Build administrative capacity to allow for the Board to operate as a strategic board versus a management board
For a more detailed strategic plans and proposed activity timelines contact the MWBGA office.